View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Just to play devils advocate for a second..

What is the real benefit of carving up the forum into all these niche specific sub-forums?

Nobody has presented a compelling argument for why we need to do this.

As I see it, right now active threads float to the top and there's a sticky for each of the three major cities.

That doesn't sound so bad.

It makes our little piece of the SSP rock easy to navigate, and even occasionally encourages discussion with our country cousins next door.

In my view, this whole excercise has resulted in a solution in search of a problem.
Excellent post.

I think that if people are serious about altering the format (which aparently many do feel strongly about, given to poll results), we should have a serious discussion about the problems are. If someone could post a pro's and con's list, that would be great.

But I have the feeling that whatever the perceived problems are, splitting the forum in 2 will not necessarily solve them: (ie: If some are upset that "outsiders" are posting in "their" threads, they need to realize that those same "outsiders" will still be able to post in "their" threads even if the forum is split.)

Maybe there are alternatives (like RTD has mentioned), or maybe things don't need to change at all. Either way, I'd really like to see the perspectives from those who voted for change on what isn't working now...