View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
Well, I normally don't participate in these threads... they seem like a total waste of time. But, I am curious... I know other leagues like the NFL have some sort of revenue sharing set up that allows teams like Green Bay (CMA 279,485) to survive. Does the NHL have something similar? Or can anyone explain how it actually works?
As always, everybody forgets that just about everybody in Milwaukee and Madison supports the Packers. That means that for all purposes they are a mid sized market team.

Why would the NHL allow expansion into a market whose business plan for staying afloat could depend on taking revenue from other teams? With Winnipeg what you see is what you get. Your going to have the same number of fans in year 15 as you did in year one accounting for market growth. With other non-traditional markets you have the potential (if done correctly with enough time) where you can incraese your fan base many fold. Now if I was commish, and somebody came to me wanting to purchase the rights to an expansion franchise and their business model was to rely on handouts, in the best of times, I'd run away as fast as possible.