View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcher View Post
I'm put off by Paris because it loves itself too much.
Sorry dude but you couldn't be more wrong. As a matter of fact, Parisians hate their city, they hate their lives, they hate to spend each second of their lives in crowds in the shops or in the metro, disturbed by noisy neighbours, disturbed by neighbours who want them to be less noisy, tired to dodge cars and smell their pollution, depressed by the lack of trees, sick to live in tiny spaces, always in alert for their own security.

The crowds living in Paris share only one dream : to get out as soon as they can. I know this very well because I'm considered as abnormal by my friends. I love the crowds, I love the density, I love the energy, and that's why I love Paris... but all my friends want to move out.

I think that this image about Paris loving itself used to be true during a good century, but isn't true anymore. Paris population was of 6 million in 1950, and of 10 million in 2000. The city didn't manage well its growth. Housing, Transportation, Economic development have all been neglected, probably because the city centre of Paris hasn't physically evolved much, giving the illusion everything could stay the same. Yes, Paris used to love itself, but it doesn't any longer.

Anyway, I still find your comment ironic considering you're a Londoner, and we just have to check how London media tells their city to see how much it loves itself. Ridiculous big titles such as "Is London the best city in the world ?", "Are we the capital of the universe ?" or similar crap. On the other side, when Paris makes the international news, it's because of its riots.

Last edited by Metropolitan; Oct 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM.