View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Honestly the very initial conceptual renderings that the Marketlands team put out were borderline perfect. At the very least, should have been the basis to go off of.

- full streetfront uses along Princess & most of King
- connection to OMS at SE corner of site
- connection to City Hall Plaza across King
- closed and open air market site
- N-S spine through centre of site that allows this apparently precious-above-all-else sunlight into more places
- building along James makes use of full streetfront, and the podium + tower design again allows for more sunlight

Like honestly... just build this. Divide up and sell the northern 2/3 of the property based on this layout and put out individual RFPs for developers for each new plot of land.

I tend to agree...

The "winning" concept in my mind is so wrong in terms of its use. The proposal blocks the balance of the site from flowing into the Exchange by this slab of a 1964 building. The first parcel of development should have been towards the North.

There is no respecting the street edge and does not comply with any of the city's planning principals. I can say Jane Jacobs would not approve!

How these lands were not gifted to RRC is as big a mistake as U of M locating in Fort Garry.

Centre Venture is not a developer and has no business trying to be one. Stick with creating the infrastructure like Waterfront Drive and leave the parcels for developers.

The U of W housing team are the only ones close to being able to pull this off.