View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Per Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_(MBTA)

"With an average daily weekday ridership of 152,200 in 2019, it is the second most heavily used light rail system in the country. The line was assigned the green color in 1967 during a systemwide rebranding because several branches pass through sections of the Emerald Necklace of Boston.
The four branches are the remnants of a large streetcar system, which began in 1856 with the Cambridge Horse Railroad and was consolidated into the Boston Elevated Railway several decades later. The branches all travel downtown through the Tremont Street subway, the oldest subway tunnel in North America. The Tremont Street subway opened its first section on September 1, 1897, to take streetcars off overcrowded downtown streets; it was extended five times over the next five decades."

Yes, the oldest subway tunnel in the USA was initially built for horse powered trolleys converting to electric powered trolleys.
I'm guessing the turn around loop at Lechmere Station was a lot more pleasant back in the horse trolley days. I stayed near there on vacation once and man that train screeching was LOUD. I understand they're extending the green line so there's no loop there anymore.

If I were king, I would extend the Austin Red Line all the way to Lamar and have the tracks make a tight vertical corkscrew around the Gables Towers to form our historic rail screeching district.