View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 7:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Is it technically available in urban areas? Sure if you are extremely wealthy, but for most people it will never work,
not every city is manhattan or san francisco.

we are not extremely rich. we purchased a 2,300 SF 3 bed/3 bath condo in a 3-flat for $420K two years ago in a wonderful, safe, urban neighborhood on the northside of chicago with a good neighborhood school (so good in fact that enrollment is exploding and CPS is currently building a $20M addition).

now, $420K is obviously going to be out of reach for many families, but it's also not in "extremely wealthy" territory either. a dual-income family with two decent middle class salaries can make that work; it's not some unobtainable unicorn that only the top 5% can have.

and for the record, i'm not disagreeing with your premise that many young families do move out to the burbs once they have 2+ kids, i'm merely countering your false narrative that safe, comfortable, urban living for a family of 4 is only available for the "extremely wealthy". middle class families with children can and do live in urban neighborhoods in chicago. some of them are my friends and neighbors.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 1, 2019 at 9:03 PM.