View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 12:02 AM
Fourth and Main

More Apartments!

City Hospital Apartments

And we start off this post with news of a developer converting a wing of the former City Hospital into apartments. I'm still searching for information, but at least one person who lives in Winston-Salem is saying it's possibly already under construction. So, I've added it to the construction list. City Hospital was built in 1914 and expanded in 1923 and around 1947, if I remember correctly? I think part of the complex is already apartments (1947 wings)? The building has an interesting history as the State Advancement School in the 1960s, after the hospital moved. The school was a residential school, with around 2,700 students of all races from across the state, used to develop teaching techniques used throughout the state.

City Hospital in 1924, when it was still a hospital:

Source

Library at Merschell Plaza Has Mayor & Alliance Support!

It appears as if the mayor and several of the city's leaders support this interesting library in a park proposal from a New York architect. They are working hard to convince the county to select Merschel Plaza. Write to the county commissioners and tell them you want the library at Merschel Plaza!

TwinCity posted these "library in a park" architect renderings at WSTB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity

If this library proposal is built, Winston-Salem will have one of the more interesting central public libraries. They want something very high-tech and futuristic and city business leaders seem willing to donate money to make it happen.

Announcement for 23 Storey Hotel at Former RJR Nabisco HQ soon?

According to Smitty and WSTB, we could see an announcement on the 23-storey hotel in 2014!

Transportation News:

WRCP Nationally Recognized for Bike Friendly Workplace

I love this bike storage system they built in their downtown office!

Source

The League of American Bicyclists recognized Walter Robbs Callahan & Pierce Architects as a Bicycle Friendly Business, leading America toward a more sustainable future. WRCP is one of 600 businesses nationwide to win this award. WRCP encourages bicycle commuting and works to make it an easy option for employees. WRCP employee and cyclist Brian Kubecki said “working at a company that supports bicycling makes “riding in” a convenient and sustainable choice for my daily commute. When our employees bike, great things happen: we encourage a fun and healthy work culture, become more connected to our community, and decrease our carbon foot prints.” Bicycle friendliness is evident through the design of their office which includes shower facilities, convenient in-office bike storage and a connected location to downtown Winston-Salem bike routes. The award brings with it free tools and technical assistance from the League.

I like their mixed-use retail/office/condo building too:

Source

Don't forget: Winston-Salem has free bikeshare! If you're visiting or live in the city, try it! It's free!

According to Winston-Salem's Cycling and Walking Transportation Planner, Matthew Burczyk, Downtown Winston-Salem has around 23 miles of bike paths built or under construction. There is a strong city backed effort to encourage cycling to work and increase bike commuting by 10% or more in the next three years. This is seen at every new office building built downtown. If you work in downtown Winston-Salem, take advantage of this and ride your bike to work!

Sports Facilities:

Winston-Salem Open Tennis Facility (USTA Tennis)

The Winston-Salem Open Tennis Facility was selected as host for the 2018 NCAA Division I Tennis Championships. The facility is expected to begin construction in 2014 and it is said it will be among the nation's best tennis facilities. Congratulations to Don Flow and this facility! It should be fun to watch the construction and see it completed for 2015 Winston-Salem Open on CBS.

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 20, 2013 at 12:38 AM.