View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I noticed they're only twinning Hwy 97 north of Cache Creek, what about Vancouver-Cache Creek? I know TCH 1 cannot be twinned due to terrain, otherwise it would have been twinned as opposed to the Coquihalla Hwy being constructed. I've also heard that Hwy 99 north of Whistler would be a massive project.
Is that true? I had always heard that the feds floated the idea of twinning the TCH in the 70's (with massive tunneling) but opted to build the coq due to cost, higher design speed, shorter distance, and bypassing all the small towns along the route between Hope and Kamloops. I would assume that twinning is technically possible, but unlikely for many years due to cost.

Highway 99 north Whistler from what I read would only be four laned to a little north of Pemberton (until you hit that area with all the crazy turns and steep grades) and then upgraded 2 lane again through massive tunneling. I can't remember cost estimates but I seem to remember more than 1 billion and that is not a recent estimate.