View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 10:01 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Chatter around the Sloop is that it is indeed going to be a two story Roots Pizza, with a roof deck - not sure if that's the 2nd floor or above it. There are some renderings floating around as well. I don't think the Roots part has been confirmed by a reliable source, there was some PR about a year ago that gave an Early 2020 opening date.

Meanwhile, yes, work has begun, they cleared away the mess of debris from previous work, have dug the foundation hole and it looked like they were setting up concrete forms this week. You can see of this in the pics in the previous posting. Work has been sporadic. Some of the gossip was that the tall building didn't happen since the ground couldn't support the weight, but I have no way of knowing if that's true. At the time the building was canceled it was for other reasons involving developer backing away, etc. It was meant to be an upscale microapartment building.

In the background you can see a peekaboo shot of the building on the next corner. This was controversial since many thought it was an underutilization of the site. I fund the dark brink rather handsome, and an upscale sort of convenience store has opened on the street and is receiving good reports.

Haven't tried Roots, but hope this is a hit, as it will help liven up Printer's Row (not that I see it as struggling or anything). Just quite fond of the neighborhood, and would like to see it thrive.