View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:35 PM
aka GM on SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Interesting! What is new to me is that Chernobyl is so big, that you need to explore it in a couple days. I figured it was about the size of a small town or a city neighborhood. It sounds like it's much bigger.
Actually the Exclusion Zone is pretty large, it covers some 2,600 km² and there is a few dozens of villages and two main towns : Pripyat and Chernobyl, which is still partly inhabited by the soldiers charged of watching the zone and controlling the check points, and by the workers charged of maintaining the power plant (but they only live there temporarily). There are also a few hundreds of permanent inhabitants who refused to leave their home in 1986. Those are old now and are fewer and fewer each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
By the way, you need to fix your link for #7.
Thanks ! Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
I guess no pics from inside the power plant!!
No, of course ! Though we had our lunch in the power plant canteen on the second day.

36-

37-

38-

39-

40-

41-

42-

43-

44-

45-

46-

47-

48-

49-

50-

51-

52-

53-

54-

55- Portraits of the first responders (workers of the power plant and firefighters) who intervened right after the accident. They all died within weeks. These men are heroes, they prevented an even more serious disaster which would have affected the whole world :

To be continued...

Last edited by Nantais; Jan 6, 2019 at 5:51 PM.