View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 3:19 AM
is watching.

The Breakwater District at Ogden Point

Victoria's Ogden point has been (slightly, after some controversy) rebranded. It is now being called The Breakwater District at Ogden Point.

It will be interesting to see what they actually do over the next 5 years or so. The area has always seemed ripe for development to me, however, I also suspect that the Victoria DBA would probably like to see very limited development at Ogden point due to the huge tourist business generated DT from the cruise industry. I suspect they have been working in the background for years to stall things from actually happening...

https://gvha.ca/the-breakwater-district/

The VHA intends to develop a long term plan for the area based on the following assessment:

Quote:
The Breakwater District at Ogden Point is the last waterfront property of its size and potential left in Victoria, a critical piece of the city’s working-harbour infrastructure with spectacular views across the Salish Sea to the Olympic Range.

The Ogden Point Breakwater has existed for more than a century and is one of the most loved and well used places in the city; in 2018, an estimated 400,000 people walked or ran along the Breakwater, and the Victoria Cruise Ship Terminal welcomed more than 700,000 cruise visitors and 330,000 crew members. Combined with the Friday Nights on the Breakwater Barge, community events such as the Island Equipment Operators Association Truck Light Convoy, and many privately-booked events mean that the facility welcomes more than 1.5 million visitors each year.

Our vision for The Breakwater District is a vibrant and accessible multi-use hub, a welcoming gateway for travellers, sustainably integrating the working harbour and the community through contemporary planning, placemaking, design, and landscaping.