View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 9:13 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post

Unfortunately, the prevailing school of architectural thought states that any ornamentation is overdone. I don't mind if something is simple, but I prefer that it look like something other than the box the nice buildings were shipped in.

Umm, excuse me what decade do you live in? Is it still the 60s and I'm just missing something? How do you profess to have any idea what the prevailing school of architecture is right now when you so obviously don't know how to criticize Modern architecture on its own terms? Ever hear of Koolhaas? Herzog and de Meuron? Jean Nouvel? Yeah, maybe, but do you even know what their work is about? How bout less-known architects like Eduardo Arroyo, UN Studio, Mansilla & Tunon, Neutelings Reidijk? Have any clue who they are? Know anything their thoughts on architecture? And since right now we've been discussing Steven Holl's work just go ahead and try to demonstrate that you actually have a clue about his work as well. Come on man, your shining example of Modern Architecture for 2007 is the Seagram Building? You're so out of date your opinion is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post

If it was up to me, I would have tried to combine the environmental aspects, and the rising and sinking beneath the earth, with something akin to the Helsinki train station. And your vision when you picture that won't be mine, so don't bother ridiculing it.

Ok, so I won't bother ridiculing your idea. If you were a skilled architect you might actually know how to pull it off. But the truth is you wouldn't have a clue to even begin designing a building. Nobody has that ability innately. If you were to go to architecture school for just year you'd learn that so much of what you think of architecture right now consists of opinions that you've never really questioned that you would quickly be forced to start finding answers for yourself. And once you do that you realize that there is no right way to design a building that transcends all times and cultures. And on top of that as you'd start questioning many things you'd also start developing new interests in materials and spaces and you'd learn to be much less DOGMATIC about all of it. Modern Architecture in 2007 is not the same thing as the back-in-the-day variety. Modern Architecture today is about exploration and invention. It's about research and creation, it's about problem-solving and testing. It is much more of a developmental process than a purely formal pursuit that is made through 'genius sketches' made on napkins. Those who continue to evaluate it SOLELY ON FORMAL TERMS are highly mistaken of its real value.