View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 9:54 PM

I figured I’d provide a bit of information around what GNB’s $92M wish list of infrastructure projects means for Fundy Quay. The province is asking for $11.7M to raise the seawall and extend Harbour Passage. $2.3M of that has to come from the city which according to Mayor Darling has been set aside.

Where things run into a slippery slope is the fact the federal government is only handing out $67M under the 80-20% funding formula and the province’s list adds up to $74.2M. So not all projects are guaranteed, however Fundy Quay does meet the funding criteria as part of the focus of the package is to support projects that protect against floods.

If Fundy Quay receives funding we will see activity on site in the near future. To be eligible construction must start no later than September 30, 2021 and must be complete by the end of 2021. Dominic Leblanc stated “our intention is to very quickly approve these projects so that the province can tender the work in the next couple weeks.” Given the large scale of this project I’d expect all levels of government would be rushing to get this off the ground as soon as possible.