View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
I think most skilled public workers (engineers, healthcare professionals, lawyers, accountants, technical experts, scientists etc) make less than their private counterparts.

I think most unskilled public workers (secretaries, clerical workers or admin assistants, housekeepers, etc) make far more than their private counterparts.

When you include the benefits though, the pension the vacation days the healthcare, it is evened out for the most part with most of the skilled workers' compensations, and the unskllled workers look even better.
This.

I can tell you, as a physician, that a lot of my friends who went to work with the VA made quite a bit less than their private practice counterparts. But it was generally considered a pretty sweet gig, as it was easier case load with more time off and less malpractice exposure.

I can also tell you that my brother worked as a high school teacher for a long time, and after tenure broke six figures. I found that to be a very high salary, given that some of my medical school classmates who chose primary care specialties weren't making a huge amount more than him.

And finally, with the pensions.... I mean.... with most of us, our retirements are tied to the markets and the economy as a whole. I'd say most of us have a lot of our net worth tied up in Mutual funds, individual stocks, bonds, and other equities. So back in 2008, when the world decided to take a shit, my net worth just like everyone else's took a nosedive. People who have pensions simply don't have that kind of risk exposure. They have a guaranteed nut, regardless of what happens to the country and the world at large. And when cost of living increases for pensions exceed that of inflation... it's hard not to be a little perturbed at government worker.