View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 4:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland had various subway plans as well, first proposed by the mayor in 1905.

this 1932 plan for euclid avenue from what is today the warehouse district to csu. i believe the depression era killed it.

here is a 1944 plan that didnt work out -- due to the war i guess.

oh but wait, there is more -- this is the early 1953 downtown subway loop and its a real peach!

the public actually ended up voting for the $35M county bond issue you see noted below in the pic by a 2 to 1 margin, but unfortunately cleveland also had their very own robert moses named al porter, who finally nixed it in 1957 (would not doubt he got paid off behind the scenes by big auto).

at least they tried -- you can see the local press was all in for the subway.

they even took a marketing aim at women shoppers -- a subway could allow for shopping downtown even despite blizzards like this one in 1950.

yet another big subway loop plan popped right back up, but after a battle between playhouse square and public square interests, it was voted down by the commissioners in 1959.

one more time? yes!

the $700M to $1B dual hub subway was the thing in the 1980s (downtown to university circle). it dragged from 1986 until 1997, but that finally got scuttled over costs. it eventually became brt healthline on euclid avenue, which is very nice, but ...

-- cle subway history thx to cle historical society and tom horseman.

ps -- there was a streetcar subway used until 1954. also i believe there is partial tunneling downtown for the one of the earlier loop plans.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio...els-cleveland/

Last edited by mrnyc; Mar 3, 2020 at 5:08 PM.