View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I've stayed away from chatting in this thread ever since Nova rightly put me in a corner, so forgive these questions. What exactly did we just vote for with prop a&b?

What lines will be built FOR SURE, with or without fed funds?
What lines do we need fed funds?

What did we get exactly?
When will it start?
When is expected completion?

Before you brow beat me, I'm PRO mass transit for HIGH density cities. I'm anti mass transit for low density cities, like Austin. I'm steadfast in my rants for MASSIVE increased density in the urban core, density that can/will support mass transit both with tax $ and ridership. I will never agree this will solve or even put a dent in Austin traffic woes. It won't I've spoken to Kitchen about this...she don't care. Austin's urban core can/should house 10-15k per sq/mile.

Our leaders will forever fight density, and selfishly, I've come around to the NIMBY way of thought. I can't win with logic, so, I've taken advantage of the restrictive codes, and cashed out, 3 times. If you can't beat them, join them.

Now you can brow beat.

I know, I know, I know..... I can look it up, but I honestly respect the members of this forum more than the media.
My problem with this formulation is that you're evaluating Austin as it is now. But you as well as anyone know how quickly things are vaulting forward here. We may not look like a classically dense city, but we can and we should, and a transit system like this gets us there.

And of course, trains are the mode that require us to think of the longest term -- the infrastructure is so expensive and complex and permanent. So this has to require you to stretch 20-30 years into the future; not just the next 5, which is what our skyscraperpage time horizon (collectively) tends to be.

I'm just saying -- this isn't a tactical solution. It has to be the most strategic and aspirational.