View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I've stayed away from chatting in this thread ever since Nova rightly put me in a corner, so forgive these questions. What exactly did we just vote for with prop a&b?

What lines will be built FOR SURE, with or without fed funds?
What lines do we need fed funds?
In the _extremely_ unlikely event we don't get federal funds, I think we still get all the lines. In that case, I think some timelines will get pushed out a bit (green line?). Again, if this were to happen (it won't) I could also see the tunneling downtown get chopped (as it's an optimization of the routes).

Quote:
What did we get exactly?
When will it start?
When is expected completion?
It started over a year and a half ago. CapMetro rolled the dice and awarded a contract for Environmental and PE (with local money) last year.
Then it sounds like CM is going to the FTA looking for small starts money for new metrorapid lines ~now. The new circulators is also something that starts this/next year.

Quote:
Before you brow beat me, I'm PRO mass transit for HIGH density cities. I'm anti mass transit for low density cities, like Austin. I'm steadfast in my rants for MASSIVE increased density in the urban core, density that can/will support mass transit both with tax $ and ridership. I will never agree this will solve or even put a dent in Austin traffic woes. It won't I've spoken to Kitchen about this...she don't care. Austin's urban core can/should house 10-15k per sq/mile.
Define "low density city". Is Austin's average density (over all >300 square miles) ~3k /mile? Sure. That's also an effectively meaningless measure.

What's the density _where the lines are going_? Remember, due to Texas' (former) annexation policies "Austin" includes what are effectively suburbs in many transit supportive cities.