View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Have you ever even been there on foot? It's literally a different world when you cross under that highway. I used to have to take a bus transfer on the same corner where the VIA transfer plaza is now. During the day time it's pretty bad, it's partly a day labor pick up zone and partly a hang out for bums. It's really pretty shocking sometimes how many people are just loitering around with beer or malt liquor in brown paper bags or passed out on the sidewalk there. During the nighttime it switches from intimidating to terrifying, I've never felt so scared and threatened in San Antonio as when I would be walking through that area. I don't have to wait for the bus there anymore thank god, but when I bike through that area nowadays it doesn't seem too different than it did a few years ago.

And for those who think I have an elitist axe to grind against homeless people, I really don't, but there's a huge gulf between what I would call "regular" homeless and substance abusers. The Cattleman's Square area is mostly the later.
I think it speaks volumes that in Alamo College's presentation justifying their need to move from their Westside location catty corner to these apartments and build a new headquarters elsewhere, they literally included photos showing their view from their offices there that included people being arrested, passed out, urinating, etc (page 6 in the below link) and a map depicting the various homicides, detention centers, etc in the proximate area (page 7). The crude drawings of bodies on said map are depressingly comical... They even have photos of their employees who work there holding signs that say "Please help us"...

http://res.cloudinary.com/courbanize...tjkn99x8em.pdf

I do not think I will be a tenant.