View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
That's also how I've always seen the Twin Cities. I remember visiting as a kid and being shocked at how clean and orderly the city was in comparison to most Midwestern cities. It had very little blight, visible poverty, or industrial scars in comparison to the Rust Belt regions. I think this map shows how much on the fringe of the core Midwest the Twin Cities are. For the record, I like the Twin Cities and think they do way more with what they got than other places in the region. It has a really progressive vibe that is somewhat of an outlier in the region. Even Chicago feels a bit more conservative in my opinion, which is probably why people liken it to the Pacific Northwest at times. Even it's skyline favors something like Portland or Seattle more so than any other Midwestern city.

and i was equally shocked in the same way moving from cleveland to columbus or visiting indianapolis. i freakin grew up next to a steel plant, so the tidiness of minneapolis doesn't come as any big surprise, these cities are all super tidy to me lol. except as i said, the nice and very urban downtown happening. that is definitely their thing. as for any other new apt construction around town, honestly it all looks the same in these cities to me. you could put a brand new modern cookie cutter urban apt building or even tower with some retail slots under it from minneapolis in columbus or portland or anywhere else and who would know where you were? its just the current style of the era everywhere. that said, these are all very healthy cities and are attracting people, so they are doing things right -- and good for them.