View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
How exactly is that used? I thought it was basically a parking stop for VIA and really only useful to the public when bringing people to the Alamodome (which we know how often that is used). Now, it is next to Sunset Station if that is ever used for rail.

The SAWS site could have (big) parking garages built with pickup and drop off areas for buses, hotel vans and taxis, relatively easy access to Sunset Station, or maybe even a streetcar that runs down commerce from Sunset Station to UTSA.

Wouldn't it be nice to reduce the downtown traffic?

The site is huge (not really sure how much they could use). Do they really want to expand the convention center to an area that will be surrounded by roads and highway? Wouldn't it be nicer to expand into Hemisfair and incorporate what is there?
Sounds like good ideas.
Garage with skywalks going over Commerce and Market to the convention hotels.
I don't know what the Thompson Transit Station is used for either, but with some improvements, it could be useful. I know that VIA now plans to use it for charging up the batteries on their new buses they plan to roll out next spring.

Reducing traffic downtown would be nice. I've always hoped that 1 lane could be made a full bike lane to have only 2 full lanes and a bus/right-turn lane. Do we really need 4 lanes?
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925