View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You architecture nerds crack me up.

You'd rather this be a vacant lot for another 10 years than a productive, tax revenue generating, sidewalk-filling, neighborhood-safening economic boon for the district and city? Think how many hotel guests will be hailing cabs, walking the streets, patronizing local restaurants and shops, catering for conventions or weddings in the reception hall, etc? Think about how many jobs this one building will create.

I agree with you on the base, and could perhaps still understand your argument if this were a REALLY shitty design--like some of the early stuff by Loewenberg. But in this case, I think you are way the hell off the mark.
Considering the last project proposed for this site was a little over 5 years ago and with things picking up again I doubt it would be another 10 years before we could see another building proposed. Although you do make a point, its not all about what is aesthetically pleasing. But its not like Chicago is in desperate need for development. Its just such a let down thinking what could have been.