View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2013, 11:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

**** it. Emailed.

Stole some references from this thread, hope you all don't mind. This is what I sent:

Good day, St. John's council,

Congratulations on a successful start to the cruise season. It was wonderful to see the Silver Whisper in town. I'm so proud to live in a city where visitors generally leave amazed.

I wanted to share, very briefly, a few of my concerns regarding the St. John's Convention Centre expansion. It's simply not good enough. All of my friends talk about how it looks like a cheap Empire Theatres. Look at the Cultural Centre Nunatsiavut is building. Look at the new Fogo Island Inn. Surely our capital can at least match those communities?

I wanted to suggest to you that we're not planning far enough ahead. Everyone I know thinks this expansion is far too small and we'll need more space in a few years.

You should dream big with this project. Why not a stunning design? With a tall hotel tower on top to share the costs?

In our own special way, we are in the big leagues now. We are worthy of the very best. We don't need to settle for a convention centre that looks like you just took it over after Danier Leather moved out. Convention centres are supposed to be showpieces.

That's all I wanted to say, just in case the thought hadn't come to mind yet.

Have a wonderful day, thank you (again) for your service,

- [SignalHillHiker]