Thread: Banjo Bowl 2007
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I bet Troy Westwood had a hand in making that.
Troy Westwood made the initial banjo comment before the 2003 Western Semi Final. I remember a couple things about the actual game.

Westwood fired up the Riders. Today, most players try to avoid "bulletin board quotes”, comments in the media that can be used by the opposition team to get fired up, and the coaches usually post them on the bulletin board in the dressing room. I recall a specific play where the Saskatchewan defense either sacked the quarterback or stopped the running back behind the line (I don’t recall the details). The Sask. defenders did an air banjo, foot stomping celebration on the field. Saskatchewan ended up winning the game, eliminating the Bombers from the playoffs.

On a more personal note, I also remember that my cousin, who is from Saskatchewan, played for the Blue Bombers at the time. I wonder what Bomber players thought of Westwood’s comments, especially those who had ties to Saskatchewan or those who knew it would just make the Riders mad and play harder? My cousin ended up getting injured so he didn’t play that game, so I had no reason to cheer for the Bombers.

I found this article, outlining the history of the Banjo Bowl after the 2003 Semi Final. Innocently had nothing to do with naming the Banjo Bowl, it was David Asper.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/C...18545-sun.html

Last edited by dmuzika; Sep 5, 2007 at 12:22 AM.