View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:33 PM

Another fine car

Here is another Ralph Morris photo of a less exotic car than the one recently discussed. All the caption says is "Late 1950's Cadillac 4-door sedan."

calisphere.org

I really like the feel of this image, and of course wondered where it was taken. There are some clues.

There looks to be a partial street number at the left, and there are business names as well in the store window. I looked for "Bert Appell" in the early 60's CDs and found one listed at 3182 W 8th street. This is a storefront in the Haddon Hall apartments, just across the street from the Ambassador Hotel.

Here is the "now" view, the tenants seem a bit more down-market:

GSV

I wondered what sort of business Bert Appell & Co would have been in. There are a couple of references to commercial real estate transactions in the LAT involving them, but nothing else. The photo shows a number of businesses at 3182 consisting of a personal name followed by "& Co." They're just a bit too blurry for me to read.

But, looking at the right side of the original photo gives the probable reason the picture was taken.

The early 60's CDs show "Morris-Associates" at 3186 W 8th, which was Ralph Morris's business name. Can anyone read the word below "Ralph Morris"? I wonder if that Caddy (what year?) was his car...