View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:57 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I don't mean this as a slight (and I hope nobody takes it that way) but I think many (not all) people in San Antonio just don't have enough experience with urban living to understand such things. I lived in New York for 18 years, you live in Berlin, and there are others who have lived in other places, as well as those in SA who do understand. But ground level retail in an urban setting is sooooo important. It creates community, it gives dwellers immediate access to shopping, dining, etc., it gives residents the privacy you mentioned, it makes it safer (thieves can much more easily break into a ground floor home than one on the second floor or above), it lessens the need for driving which lessens traffic and pollution. I have such a hard time with a large residential building such as this in a dense urban setting and no retail. Such poor planning.
I’m not sure why you’re trying to position this on the citizens of San Antonio. They’re not developing these projects nor are these projects being developing via their feedback. I think we can all agree that retail is important in an urban setting, but myself nor anyone on here is developing these projects. Obviously the people developing these projects for whatever reason decided not to include retail in their residential projects.

We get it, you really like it, you’re the first to cheer or jeer a residential project if it does or doesn’t have retail. But again, non of us nor any average San Antonian is developing these projects. There’s no need to beat the dead horse over something none of us have control over.

You want ground floor retail in an urban residential development, take a loan out, find investors. Build what you want yourself, otherwise we’re all here just commentating on developments we have zero control over.

Basically, there’s no need to generalize or try and speak for an entire populace over something they have no control over.