View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Can someone please explain this to me? We all know that this province sucks at building quality highways and highway maintenance isn't the best either. Lack of cat's eyes reflectors and rumble strips piss poor short-lasting paint on the lane lines etc. Now the rebuilt Sea to Sky, of course, doesn't have cat's eyes but the rebuild sections do have rumble strips on the right shoulders.
Reflectors are a waste of money anywhere that gets regular winter plowing operations. Even on low speed roadways in a City they won't survive more than a dozen plows at most. Durable inlaid paint markings are decent but I don't know if the cost benefit is there as they don't tend to last too much longer than regular markings and are much more costly to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Driving along the highway recently I couldn't help but shake my head. Even though the pavement quality is still good after not even 10 years of the rebuild they decided to repave sections recently. Now new asphalt is a fine and dandy as long as you don't mess with the little safety features our crappy highways have. Some pea-brained moron thought it was a good idea to pave over the rumble strips. I couldn't believe it. Seriously who's the idiot that approved that and why? So they took away one safety feature and couldn't even bother putting in a new one like cat's eyes.
Pavement best practices will tell you that you should re-pave a road before problems really start, and that will extend the life of the entire pavement structure significantly. If you wait until things are falling apart, you've failed and probably need to do significant reconstruction.

Paving over rumble strips is a good thing. Ideally you do this because the act of creating rumble strips creates new failure points in the asphalt. Redoing them keeps them in good shape. Obviously if they never go back and redo them that's an issue, but since it's not the paving crew's job to make them, so maybe just wait a bit and see if they get out there?