View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
It isn't a question for the engineers. It is a design problem. If there was an oversight or if new requirements come from engineering, design should work to find a solution with some coherence.

At its absolute simplest, the black color works against the way the color gradation of the curtain wall is used to reinforce the frustum shape. Light colors on the peaks with dark in the valleys is a clever way to create more contrast. Throwing a full black stripe across both peaks and valleys flattens out the form. Stretching that across the the whole floor also flattens the transition points laterally. It is a hard problem they took on trying keep the geometry readable on a building of such scale. The glass color and the slight N/S offset of each stack is all in service of that objective. The louvres don't.

I don't even know what you are trying to get at with your riverboat rambling. The point is that a more considered design doesn't need such a visual cop out. Look at how trump tower handles it, the transitions between segments actually contribute positively to the design. That looks intentful, this looks like a bandaid.
Hahah my riverboat rambling.. take everything I post here with a grain of salt

It's so true I don't know why the designers couldn't have put more thought into this. Simply expected better.