View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
How do you Saskatchewanian forumers feel about the Feds decision to block the PotashCorp takeover?
Honesty, I am a bit concerned. I think people have confused the mining of this resource with ownership of the resource. The province will always maintain ownernship of the mineral potash. I agree it is a strategic resource based on how much Sask/Canada has compared to rest of world. However, if the issue is really about 'how' the resource is mined, then there should be changes to provincial legislation to protect the value through royalties and taxes, etc. To say to a private company (PCS) that they cannot sell to any foreign company (BHP) seems a little government centric. If I were a share holder in PCS, I might be a bit worried about the value of my investment if it appears to other potential buyers that the company I am invested in cannot ever be purchased, regardless of how good the offer is.

It is a tough issue. I believe we do need to protect our resource, but I don't believe that is achieved thru blocking private companies from negotiation deals with each other. The Province just needs to ensure that we maximize the benefits of ANY company that operates in this province.