View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
You are 100% right. I see more American vehicles driving around in Selkirk than I do in Winnipeg. All going north for fishing. Lots of the smaller tour companies fly out of St. Andrews airport.
Churchill would be the number one draw for overseas tourists. It’s too bad our province continues to neglect building a road to Churchill. the tourist benefits alone would justify it, more people would go to Churchill if they could afford to go there, but it’s cheaper to fly to Europe. not to mention that having a road would allow Churchill to become a distribution centre for the rest of the north lowering the cost of goods for everyone up there and providing more jobs.
What would the cost of a 2-lane highway (with some passing lanes) from Sundance (I think this is where the road ends?) to Churchill cost? That's about 250 km in a straight line which we know the road will not be with all the bogs and lakes. Then there is the challenges of the tundra one would have to deal with.

Conservatively, would we be talking about $1 - $2 billion to build this road? I'm not sure the return - more efficient transportation of goods and services and increased tourism due to accessibility - would be worth the cost.