View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 9:40 PM

oh dear oh dear oh dear. Where to start. THE BUILDING IS F*CKING AMAZING!!!!!

More reasoned approach. This is truly an amazing building, and to fully appreciate it requires experiencing it. As a former KCitian and museum aficiando, I have been following this pretty closely. I had some small doubts early on, but not now. I last visited in October (and will see it again next weekend) and though I haven't been inside, I sure have pressed my nose to the glass (the clear glass). The exterior experience is amazing. You have to understand how the buildings relate to the old Nelson-Atkins (N-A) building and the 20+ acre KC Sculpture Park. Look for a book about it this summer called "Stone and Feather" or something like it. The title is what the the architectural program is about. Inward looking (N-A) and outward looking (the addition, called the Bloch Building btw). Heavy (N-A) versus light (Bloch). etc. etc.

I could write for pages about it, but suffice to say, when I walked around and on top of it, I would have to stop to catch my breath from saying wow so much. The massing of the lenses is unbelievable. They do tumble down the hill. I was there on a rainy day and the glass was silky and shimmered. I haven't even seen it at night, but friends tell me it is magical.

The way it relates to the N-A is remarkable. If you stand in plaza on the north side of the museum looking to south, the void between the two buildings pulls you in. Your feet just start going. Wonderful experience to walk among the art and landscape and buildings.

***Read the METROPOLIS article. It will give greater understanding of the project and what they are trying to do. Be sure to look at the photos of the galleries. This will be a successful venue for the display of art. It will not have the problem of Liebeskind's DAM since the walls are vertical. It will have a mix of natural and artificial light that is not often seen in museums. For all the wizardry, it was designed to showcase art, and by early accounts, does so exceedingly well.

For those who asked how can it be most anticipated when they haven't even heard of it, I attribute it partially to "flyover" effect and partially to not following the work of Holl. As to the "flyover" effect, did you even know that the N-A is one of the finer museums in the US?? Along with the addition the museum is re-installling almost the entire collection, and rethinking how art and decorative art should be presented.

It also anticipated because it is considered the most fully realized Holl building to date. He has been given a budget and artistic support that has enabled him to pursue light in a way he has not had. The NYTimes has him saying that this is the fullest expression of his thinking about architecture.

Sorry for the length of the post and the scattered impressions. I urge everyone to wait until the see more photos and see if it succeeds as gallery space.