View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 9:19 PM
Bombshell Vintage

While I would say this may not be Holl's most successful building I do commend the Nelson-Atkins Museum for commissioning a daring piece like this which has obviously been abhorred by a large percentage of the public. Architecture is just like Modern Art in that it may not appeal to your predisposed 'tastes,' but that's not exactly what it's meant to do anyway. Modernism is about going beyond mere aesthetics towards a reconceptualization of art and buildings themselves. If the public can't appreciate it because they don't want to give it a chance then it's their decision. No one can force them to. But architecture is a very enlightened pursuit and it isn't only about forms. It's a thinking discipline and it does require patience to try to understand it. Part of the reason there is a divide between architects and the public stems from the fact that it takes yearsto learn how to design buildings. Philip Johnson is famous for the aphorism that 'Life for an architect begins at 45.'

But, having said that, since so few people really appreciate Modern Architecture, it is astonishing that even a few exciting buildings get built in America at all. That is why I support these architects even when their buildings may not be 100% successful when realized. I think the fruits of their years of work have meaning and it would be a shame if no art benefactors or cultural institutions would provide them the opportunity to see their ideas built.