View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:13 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I really like the first one.

I must say, I strongly disagree with your assumption San Antonio is the 29th largest city. I know there is a great deal of chatter on this site and others about metros being the real indicator of a city’s size. I think that is pure B.S. Here is my reasoning. First, take Atlanta or any other large metro area (DFW/Houston/San Antonio/Austin in our case) individuals chose to live in Decatur, Duluth, Marietta, or other areas in the Atlanta Metro area for a reason. I am sure those people do not go around saying they are from Atlanta; the same way people from Plano do not say they are from Dallas. These areas are there own municipalities, have their own vibe, and are in most ways not dependant on the main city in the area.

I live in Houston and I hear people all the time say there are from West U., Bellaire, Katy, or some other independent city. If people say they are not from somewhere why do some insist on trying to redefine established guidelines and principles to force them into a box. The same can be said for the city governments, I am sure the mayor and city councils of these independent municipalities do not see themselves as anything other than what is listing on their charters.

Yes, Shertz1. You are correct in saying that throughout any metro area other municipalities may have there own independent vibe- Say, Alamo Heights within San Antonio. But on the whole, if I were a visitor I would not consider the smaller communities as totally separate. They are part of the entire urbanized area and that is why I call SA the 29th largest. San Francisco (municipal) has less than half as many people is S.A. but if I were visiting in in and around S.F. the urban area spreads out much farther than in S.A. That is why S.F. is really the 5th or 6th largest city and S.A. is the 29th. This is not B.S. Urbanized area, baby, Urbanized area!