View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 1:18 AM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
^ Collegetown Terrace sure does make a statement in those views. And I thought 115 Campbell Ave sounded familiar......it's the first sub-division item on that planning board agenda from July 22.

Speaking of Schroeder's book, did you ever run across anything in your searches regarding a proposal for a hi-rise apartment building on the parking lot located at the southeast end of the Stewart Ave bridge over Cascadilla gorge. I recall seeing a rendering and article about a 12 to 14 story building going up next to the gorge in the Ithaca Journal back in the mid 60s.

Schroeder's book will be one thick rascal.
Hmm...I'm aware of the 18-to-21 floor proposal that was considered in 1969/1970, but I'm pretty sure that's a different project. I never found photos of that one, just a few Cornell Sun articles that briefed those plans. The Sun archive might be a good place to check for the proposal on Stewart Ave.

EDIT: Here we go. Ten floors in a 70-unit luxury apartment building were approved for 403-415 Stewart Avenue, from the February 16, 1965 issue of the Cornell Daily Sun:

http://cdsun.library.cornell.edu/cgi...king+lot-----#

'Course, they could never do that now. I think the height limit is four floors and 40' on that site. Cornell has mulled putting housing there, per its master plan.

Last edited by Visiteur; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:04 AM. Reason: I flunked sperling