View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 5:43 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Why does everyone keep saying 17 years? The first 12 years or so when Doer was running things our province was doing well. Stop tying what Sellinger did to the rest of the NDPs tenure in power. After all had the NDP not been doing a good job they wouldn’t have been in power that long!
No, that's not why they were in power for that long.

There was no credible alternative for most of that time. Secondly, Doer was a good leader. That doesn't mean the party was good for the province.

That said, the province did do better under the last incarnation of the NDP but it wasn't really because of anything they did, I don't think. The only thing I think they did right was the PNP. Otherwise, they were (as always) horrible with money. The last time they were in power prior to Doer they drove us into the ground economically. Filmon lasted as long as he did because the NDP left us with such a disaster that people were unwilling to vote for them for over a decade. Frankly, between the two of them, I'd prefer we voted a polar bear into office. At least we'd know exactly what it wanted to do (eat us) and wouldn't just hand our money out to people before they even bothered to ask. It also wouldn't force us to take unpaid days off.