View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The onus is on the cyclist because they are considered the same as motor vehicles. And I disagree that it is only a "dangerous environment because of drivers".
But why should cyclists have to put themselves in positions where they are uncomfortable because of the actions of drivers. And yes, it it a dangerous environment because of drivers. If you think it's because of cyclists, you're completely delusional. How many of the cyclist fatalites in car-bike collisions have been the fault of cyclists? 0

Quote:
How many cyclists do you see that actually observe and follow general traffic rules? There are some for sure, but now how often do you see bikes weaving in and out of streets using the sidewalk when convenient, slipping up between lanes of traffic or between cars and the curb at stop lights? People driving cars can definitely be dangerous to cyclists, but a lot of the time, cyclists aren't exactly angels either, so let's not pretend otherwise.
How many of those actually endanger you as a driver? 0.

Quote:
As for "who really cares?" I do. Just as a bike is at a severe disadvantage to a car, a pedestrian is at a severe disadvantage to a bike.
So you care because a bike is bigger and pedestrians are at a disadvantage ( what does that even mean?), but your logic doesn't hold wrt car-bike interractions

Quote:
"Slowing down as they pass pedestrians and giving them room". That's funny, it's certainly not been my experience.
Experience? Or perception? If you're a pedestrian, at walking speed, you would perceive cyclists to be speeding by you, not because they are, but because of the difference of speed. If I pass a pedestrian at 15 km/hr, they probably think I am speeding past them, as opposed to the reality of me having dropped my speed by at 10 km/hr as I pass them.