View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 4:44 AM

So, there were a few interesting things about th Essex mentioned at the CAF lecture.

Again, it was landmarks and the city who caused the design change.

I find it almost hilarious even though it's sad and pathetic that officials in the city renowned for its architecture help with the dumbing down of designs because of fear that the new towers would overshadow and or be too out of scale.

With the removal of the X-bracing, the amount of concrete needed would go up by about 25% according to the architect. I believe he said it was roughly a $10,000,000 cost.

The verticals we see on the north and south facades are actually structural buttresses that thin out (from 5' at the base and then 3', 2', 1' and they disappear at the top) as the tower rises and they will be clad with metal.

I'm sure you remember hearing that when the Wabash/Madison stop was disassembled, some of those facade pieces were saved. Well guess who has them... the developer, and it seems like they want to install/encase these pieces within the winter garden area.

And demo pics from 02/10/17

Oh...! BTW, we may have to bump this back to 620'. The architect said this number several times and when I mentioned I'd seen 607', he said with all the screening it's 620'. Hopefully I'll see more drawings in the future.

Last edited by BVictor1; Feb 11, 2017 at 5:15 AM.