View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 6:34 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If poor people weren't having kids there would be a hell of a lot fewer people. Most of us reading this thread probably wouldn't be here. So, I think the finger is pointed in the wrong direction.

The eight richest people on Earth have the same amount of wealth as the poorest 4 billion people on Earth. If poor people have a responsibility to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, then rich people also have a responsibility to not be so greedy. If rich people want to continue to hoard resources, then we have to be okay with creating a very large social safety net. I don't think capitalism will survive without a compromise on one or the other.

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/meet-t...conomic-forum/
Jeff Bezos is worth $120 billion because Amazon is worth $850 billion and the vast majority of his wealth is tied up in Amazon. And Amazon is worth that much because of investors' confidence in him and that company. All that wealth is on paper...or in some computer. He and that entire company along with the other billionaires on your list can vanish tomorrow and the worlds' poor will stay poor.

Here in this country, I've seen a lot of people over the years who could barely take care of themselves then have a couple of kids with an unstable partner and then wind up on public assistance...because kids are expensive. Never went to college or invested in their career but that's not some tech billionaire's fault.