View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Well, the 2,400 seat Majestic Theater, built in 1929, has been the de facto performing arts center in San Antonio since 1988 when the city purchased it, so I don't think you can say San Antonio hasn't had a venue. Add to that the numerous other halls and auditoriums (like the Municipal, the Empire, Laurie, etc.) in the city and I don't think we've been outperformed by Odessa. That said, it will be nice to have something (almost) brand new and state-of-the-art.
Right on...San Antonio has been in love with i'ts cultural venues since the 1920's and has more world class venues than some larger cities. How many U.S. cities have as many restored theatres that San Antonio has? Not many!! This will be a awesome upgrade and should spin off more development at River North. The Scottish Rite Temple is used for performing arts as well as the Lila Crockrell, Alameda Performing Arts Center and the Municipal. The Scottish Rite is pure opulence, one of my favorites. You won't find as many of these type of venues in Texas, except for S.A. Odessa what? Maybe the one in Russia!

Scotish Rite
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM.