View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...photo-12296029

One was already done. Nothing happened. In all I don't have any real issue with Zachry doing this work. This work was going to go to someone. I think that it is all the better that it went to someone local.

To me it is not that Zachry is the company doing this, it is that the design they are showing now is so different than what they showed when they won the bid. So what was the point of the bidding process. The only element that they seem to have retained, is that there are two main structures and the purpose of each.

I really liked the initial design. It got me excited about the park redevelopment and made me feel better about voting for the bond package. This feels like the Alamodome all over again. Back then it was sold that if you voted for the tax increase, we would get a duel purpose football-baseball stadium. I could care less if there was ever any baseball played there, but there a lot of people in San Antonio that did. They voted for the tax increase with the idea that pro baseball would have a chance of coming to San Antonio. When the final designs were shown, no baseball. Yes they do some reconfiguration to squeeze a baseball field in there, but it is an after thought.

That is how I feel here. I was excited about the initial concept and design, and now you give me something completely different. I FEEL CATFISHED!!! It was mentioned that they wanted to "link the development with surrounding neighborhoods such as La Villita and Lavaca and to match the scale of nearby buildings". I don't see how this design does that any better than what they originally proposed. Why did the completely throw the previous design away? Was that design not a part of why they won the bid?

In the end, it will probably be built just as it shows now. I am just disappointed.
Would it be a crazy idea for somebody to gather up these complaints from the forum and others in the community and contact the HDRC to discuss?? Serious question. I would go do it myself but I no longer live in the state. From everything I've read the design seems almost universally panned. Takers??