View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
As a person passionate about urban design, and a long-time (every day) reader of this forum, this particular topic has caused me to finally weigh in with my two cents.
I think these designs would be a huge mistake. Upon first glance, I thought these were renderings for a suburban office park or other low-density development. In fact, they would actually work really well as such. But they don't belong in this space. This design should be world-class, cutting-edge, inspiring. Not all designs need to be, but this one, which represents Hemisfair Park and the future of San Antonio, definitely should. And this plays it too safe, to say the least. It's just all-around disappointing. Also, why are they cheating us on the height again? Not that it needs to be a skyscraper, but once again here we see a plan for a shorter, fatter, wider building that obstructs views instead of something more slender that adds to the skyline. Why?? The previous rendering showed a much better design IMO. Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of like the glass designs, especially the shorter marketplace building, but I'd like to see it maybe on Broadway or somewhere in the museum reach, somewhere to add to the surrounding density. But this is the wrong place to put these designs. I hope HDRC rejects this and seeks something with more character, integrity, and impact on the downtown image.
I agree. This project should be bold, not pedestrian.