View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Do you think will see any Metrolink extensions over the next decade?
I've heard people from E-W Gateway (St. Louis' MPO) and CMT (a local transit advocacy group) say St. Louis could potentially get one more light rail line by 2020, but after that we would be tapped out.

Personally I dont see it happening unless we get more funding from the state of Missouri (very strong rural/urban divide in this state) or the Feds decide to change their policies on public transit funding (not too hopeful).

I do know that the next extension is going to be either the Westport (suburban park and ride line) or the North-South Line (true urban light rail with the greatest potential). The studies are further along on the N-S Line, but the Westport line is a lot more politically feasible for some reason.

Currently Metro is working on providing better service, modernizing the fare system, and planning for TOD. I've heard rumors about BRT, but I'm personally skeptical of the final product.

St. Louis has a long way to go and will likely see piecemeal improvements or expansions over the next few decades, unless we get significant outside help. I'm personally very envious of what is happening in Denver, Salt Lake City, and Dallas, but recognize St. Louis is a slow growth region trying to redefine itself.