View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I haven't been here long enough to know how they got that way, but right now gross mismanagement, complacency and a fear of change is preventing a lot of improvement.
I'll give you a hint, demographics. 86% of the CPS student body is low income. Suburbs just price people out and whoop, all's great. How about some affordable housing in Naperville or Libertyville? The middle class abandoned CPS in 60-80s and that's why it's the way it is. Look at the CPS neighborhood schools that are doing well. A group of local parents decided to send their kids and now these schools are improving and in some cases better than top suburban schools. The CPS school that my kids go to had a student body of about 300 10 years ago and was about 90% low income. Today, the school has about 600 kids and is 45% low income. It's a viable alternative for middle and upper income families, most of which would not have considered it 10 years ago. All because a group of local parents decided to send their kids to the school and slowly but surely it turned around. Now of course, housing prices are skyrocketing in the neighborhood, partially because of this. Houses literally right outside the attendance area sell for half of those inside. Not sure what can be done about that.