View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 6:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Thanks PK and LVDW! Lots of great knowledge here in these forums...

I wonder if the Spice Barrel District industrial (Cermak and Jefferson, roughly) could be repurposed for large-scale artist live/work, with the breaking of a PMD setting a precedent.
It could, in theory. Live/work spaces on upper floors are allowed in all B and C districts, and allowed on the ground floor in a B2, so there is a way to do it assuming the PMD was broken. Probably zone everything a B2-5. It's all landmarked, so you wouldn't have to worry about developers using the generous zoning to build a highrise. If no ground floor units, then C1-5 would allow a greater range of commercial uses that might be a good fit for an artist district, like tattoo parlors, flea markets, etc.

I think planners are very leery of doing live/work in industrial areas, since they don't want the concerns and complaints of residents to hinder the operations of industrial businesses. So far, all the live work spaces have been either commercial buildings, or weird isolated industrial buildings like the Switching Station in East Garfield Park where the neighbors are all mixed-use or residential.

Quote:
It would also be interesting if some institution opened a large-scale gallery complex somewhere in these parts – MoMA PS1 comes to mind, or the recently opened Hauser Wirth & Schimmel (one of the most impressive things I saw in LA).
Isn't this exactly what MANA Contemporary is on Cermak?