View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Oh please. Of the slew of new skyscrapers that have popped up, what, besides Ghery is a showstopper? Absolutely none. 1 WTC? Not up and doesn't count. 2 and 3 World Trade Centers wont be topped out for like 10 years (even though they all should have been up years ago ). Sad, that a terrorist attack is the only way to bring about new, soaring , stunning towers in this city when nothing on that caliber would ever be built in this city otherwise. MoMA? What even happened to that sad, decapitated tower? Carnegie 57? Nice, but that's not enough. I'm not sure why people in the "Greatest City in the World!" are so accepting of mediocrity -- it's truly shocking!

These Related/Hudson buildings are so UGLY and I hope something bad happens and they're canceled. So tacky and they absolutely ruin the NYC skyline. What was the point of building three tacky boxes? Why couldn't one soaring tower (that actually looks half decent) be put up instead?

UGH.

The reason why one soaring tower wasn't built is that it is probably safer, cheaper and more profitable to build 3 shorter towers. The developers build to maximize profits in NY. This isn't Dubai, China where buildings are built to create prestige and a new city destination on the world's tourism and business map. NY developers are not interested in raising eyebrows with amazing expensive innovative towers if its going to be overly risky and debt ridden venture and doesn't help their bottom line.

There is no 'greatest city' because everyone has a difference of opinion.

I agree with you, these towers are a let down for one of the last major development sites in Manhattan. We all hope that these towers are cancelled but not likely.. One extremely tall mixed use building here would have fit the bill nicely instead of that stump of a 3rd building. However, we all know that NY is a profit focused town.

Oh, and the Heron tower isn't anything special.. I never was into it. Has some nice facade work in parts, but I can't believe people were 'creaming' over it.

Last edited by aquablue; Mar 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM.