View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ The DNAInfo article said the land would continue to be operated as a hot dog stand. But then the existing hot dog stand closed, so I'm thinking the information was wrong.

It's a nonconforming business on a residential zoned parcel, so if the business stays closed for (I believe) six months, they would have to get a zoning change to re-open.

Unfortunately the residential zoning also means the parcel would need a zoning change to B or C categories to put up a TOD. The triangular site is hard to squeeze parking in, so a TOD is a good fit... Maybe not a mid-rise or mixed-use, but certainly 4 residential stories with no parking and a partial basement.
Turns out there's a "thread" about it on the Facebook group Forgotten Chicago. That's funny - weird coincidence. Some guy on there said his friend or something owns a business near there and said it's being remodeled for a Hot Dog stand.

Does that even make economic sense to keep it as such? I guess maybe if they only plan on staying in business for 3-5 years before selling the land again while hoping prices keep increasing in that area... kind of weird to me though.