View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 4:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
It still amazes me that Libeskind was chosen to design the WTC at first. His buildings would have been a blight on downtown for decades. Thank goodness that mistake only caused delays and not actual buildings.
Thank you, I second that...Libeskind is such a horrible architect and it bothers me that he is able to get anything built to begin with. If nyc really wanted a new tallest building to look completely ugly they could of always gotten Micheal Graves to design it, which would of resulted in something just as crappy or worse than what Libeskind could do.

Though, with this said...whatever gets built, especially if it is this current design, it will be nothing more than just a tall office building. There is really nothing special about this design, and the base of the building will probably be the most uninviting and closed in part of the building...the most hope I have in this going right is some form of ground level memorial and an observation deck that allows one to look down onto the memorial and is possibly at the same height the towers once were.

Personally I think this new tower will in no way capture some of the amazing effects and details that were in the original twin towers, but at the same time I would find it funny if whatever they built became something hated by most new yorkers because then it would be on par with the original buildings. I have photobooks before 9/11 that talk about how horrible the twin towers are and how much they destroyed nyc's skyline.