View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 1:09 AM

I wish SA still had a great historical looking DT. For 5 years I'd catch the bus downtown and always walk around, evening missing a couple of buses by choice to keep exploring. Everytime I saw something new, some new piece of architecture I missed before. What I finally realized was the era of such beauty was over. Everything newer was bland, flat, and meant nothing to DT and contributed only to infill. WIth the exception of the Vistana, most new buildings don't bring the glory that buildings of the past once did. There are modern buildings that do stand out in a good way and showcase the beauty of modern architecture. I wish we had some of those because buildings if the past wont be built. I hope the city could one day embrace modern architecture in a way that enhances DT rather than toning down a building so much it has an adverse effect such the the GH or La Quinta. I visited NYC a few times and it shows that even in the midst of meodern hirighes the classic stlye buildngs stand out. I'm sure the sane could happen here. If not highrises then midrises could do the work. By showcasing newer and creative buildings and not being scared to have them DT I think it would be pretty cool to show a timeline almost of how the city has evolved and how things change. Though I'm for a skyscraper I'd be scared to think that something could be taller than the ToA. In time, if it ever happens, I think the city would look back and see that larger and modern buidlings dont distract from the beauty of the city, rather, they enhance it and showcase the city as no longer stuck in the past but instead ready to move into the future but retain and embrace its historical past.

I know this doesnt add much or go along with what I've/Ya'll have been writing lately but for some reason I felt compelled to type this, idk why