View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
The naysayers, especially Archie Teck, rely almost exclusively on speculation and take a worst-case scenario approach.

Most of the details of the domed stadium, such as how it will be heated or cooled, are not available yet. How can you criticize unreleased details?

More importantly, how can anyone criticize the studying of an issue that has caught provincial and national attention? Some people criticize the cost of the study (0.28% of the potential estimated cost of the full realization of a domed facility) and others criticize the objectivity of the researchers. They have not even released any data or reports. The distinct possibility exists that they will conclude that the domed facility is not the best option from a feasibility standpoint.

How can you evaluate the objectivity of researchers when they have barely commenced their study?

So much pre-emptive nonsense from so many narrow-minded individuals.

I agree as a "naysayer" my posts have been likely in the speculative/worst case scenario region of the issue. It seems much of the positive comments have also been speculative though, as people imagine the look of the facility, different events that might be brought in, other businesses that could work well with a stadium and so on. I don't criticize people dreaming or posting what they'd like to see or ideas they feel would make such a facility better. I do think it is important to think about the worst case scenarios, or difficulties as well. Since I'm not for a domed stadium, I've posted such thoughts.

As for the feasibility study, I am not against it, I would have prefered a week or two for the public to digest the inital study before the recommendation was studied in depth. Or even better, the data or some numbers were realised rather than just the bottomline figures in the executive summary. I don't worry so much about the authors of the feasibility study but the politicans and invested interests that haven't been named but apparently exist.

In today's Leader Post Anne Campbell wrote a letter pushing for the dome to be a winter haven for walkers and plants. I could sit here and shoot holes in her thoughts with more speculation but really I thought it was an interesting, if unlikely, posible use. It would be interesting to read more ideas the proside have for the dome, different uses, configerations, confrences or events that would apply. I don't really plan on posting here until further news comes out unless someone address a previous post I've made.