Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I could see it being isolating if you are the only one in your group having kids, which may be the case for those who become parents at a young age relative to their friends. I remember when I was in university there were a couple of acquaintances who had kids fairly early on, when I was still in my early 20s and children were far from my mind. I'm sure that wasn't all that easy for them, as few of their friends could relate. Although I suppose when you have kids you do tend to turn inward somewhat. Home typically becomes a bigger part of your life.
In my close circle of high school friends, one of them had kids at least 5 years before the next one, so his kids are now 12 and 15, while the average is about 6 and 8, and I'm the late straggler at 0 and 3.

Anyway, about 11 years ago we planned a "guys weekend", and decided to have it in Ottawa, since that's where he and another friend lived.

During that weekend, he kind of came in and out of the activities we had. So, he came to the restaurant, but a little late, since he was tucking his kids in bed, and then left before last call because he wanted to have a proper night's rest, and then came around again to our AirBnB the next morning to give us donuts and coffee to nurse our hangovers.

At the time I didn't appreciate it, but now that I'm in his shoes, I realize just what a good sport he was. I mean, if we were planning a similar weekend now, and the rest of them were willing to come to Toronto, I'd be like "I won't be able to make it, can we do this next year?" To be fair, he was in his twenties at the time, so he had more energy than I do now.