View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
That doesn't make it very progressive then, does it?
Well, first, I was correcting the Ikea statement, not defending any kind of "progressive" notion. In fact, I'd really rather not respond to your question because it probably will open up an endless debate that serves no end. My post was supposed to be helpful: Sourcing things takes an incredible investment of time and devotion, and I certainly don't need to share that knowledge.

Second, I would agree that this library is a nice piece of design, but not especially progressive, except for certain "now" elements in the interior design. Nor does it need to be progressive. It probably fits closer into the "great buildings" category than the progressive category, which is the other title of this thread. (I'm not yet convinced that it's a truly great building for that matter.)

Third, something does not need to utilize 100% new elements to be considered progressive. There are endless examples of this. Indeed, if every element of a building needed to be brand new to produce something truly "progressive," we would only see one progressive building every 500-1000 years.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.